Dates for this trip
|TRIP DATES||AVAILABILITY||PRICE||SPACE LEFT|
|November 21, 2020 - November 28, 2020||Available||$ 2,000||
|November 21, 2020 - November 29, 2020||Available||$ 2,000||
|November 22, 2020 - November 28, 2020||Available||$ 2,000||
|November 22, 2020 - November 29, 2020||Available||$ 2,000||
Join teachers from across the globe to observe world-leading practices in the Finnish school system. You’ll learn how to “teach like Finland” by visiting schools and networking with Finnish teachers. You’ll see classrooms in action.
When you’re not learning from your peers, you’ll explore the historic city of Helsinki. You’ll meander through a sea fortress from the 1700s, taste delicious chocolate at the Fazer Experience Visitor Centre, and enjoy a refreshing sauna. Or, if you choose, you can spend a cozy day in experiencing “kalsarikannit.”
On the second leg of our trip, you’ll experience the magic of the Finnish Lapland with other teachers. We’ll chase the Northern Lights, speed through arctic forests on a snowmobile, and get a chance to be mushers with adorable huskies! We’ll also learn about the traditional reindeer herding practices of the indigenous Sami, and we’ll get a chance to encounter these reindeer ourselves.
With this trip, you’ll enjoy safe, clean and comfortable accommodations in nice hostels and a vacation rental. You will share your room with another *Traveling Teacher. Daily breakfast, to-go lunches, and ingredients for dinner are also included. When our itinerary requires that we eat dinner at a restaurant, that’s covered too.
Please note that this package does not include airfare to/from your point of origin, to Finland. The flight between Helsinki and Rovaniemi IS included, however.
In summary, the following is included in your trip package:
- Accommodations for eight nights (arriving Saturday 11/21/2020, departing Sunday 11/29/2020)
- Flight between Helsinki and Rovaniemi
- 8 breakfasts, 8 lunches/brunches, and 8 dinners
- Coffee and other drinks (both at lodging and when out)
- Introduction to the Finnish education system, by Finnish teachers
- 3 full days of teacher shadowing at Finnish schools
- Debrief of school observation experience
- Transportation for group itinerary activities via day tour, public transport or ride-share
- Northern Lights expedition
- Snowmobile safari
- Husky farm visit and mushing lesson
- Reindeer farm visit with sleigh ride
- 2-hour Finnish sauna experience at Löyly
- Admission to: Fazer Experience Visitor Centre, Suomenlinna Fortress & Museums, Winter Garden, Arktikum Science Museum
- Finnish Farewell dinner
Note that within the first few days of your arrival, the Finnish-American Club of Helsinki puts on a Thanksgiving dinner to celebrate American culture, and the relationship between the United States and Finland. If you’d like to participate in this dinner, select the option for it at checkout.
Because some teachers may arrive later or departure sooner, note that your total will be adjusted if this is the case. When you’re booking, be sure to note your arrival and departure dates. I will confirm your final total with you, if it is less than the total stay price.
*Note that you can request to room with a particular Traveling Teacher. Just ensure that each of you request the other person as a roommate when you book. We hold this policy to ensure everyone’s safety and comfort.
Cost & Payment Plans.
- Starting August 1st, 2020: 50% of the total due at booking.
- Total must be paid by Friday, October 9th, 2020.
- Any bookings made after Friday, October 9th, 2020 must be paid in full
This is professional development you can love!
You’ll receive 20 hours of observation and education about the Finnish school system, and you will receive a certificate for these hours at the end of your school visit.
You’ll also get to explore the history, architecture and culture of Helsinki – which has a rich past!
For the second leg of our trip, you’ll experience the arctic magic of the Finnish Lapland. You’ll search for the Northern Lights, speed through the forest on a snowmobile, meet adorable huskies, and learn about the indigenous Sami’s relationship with reindeer.